In our increasingly fast paced world it seems like we never have enough time to spend with those we love or to get the important things done. I’ve found that when I stop thinking and procrastinating and instead start acting, even for a few minutes, I get much more accomplished than I otherwise would have. What a concept eh?
This is why I have created “Take a Minute Tuesdays” here as a regular feature on Kevin’s Corner, to give myself and you readers a small weekly dose of an action you can take to enhance your life or the lives of those around you.
Take a minute to work on your New Year’s Resolution
Did you know that one recent study found that 88% of people who set a New Year’s Resolution failed to achieve their goal after one year? That is pretty sad! Don’t let yourself become part of that statistic and take a minute right now to work at achieving it, I know you can do it!
I look at resolutions like forming a new habit, and that requires daily action. So if you are planning on exercising more, schedule when you are going to exercise for the next few weeks. If you are planning to eat healthier, find a few healthy recipes to cook in the next month. If you are planning to pay down debt, come up with a plan for how you will get it paid off by the end of the year. Whatever the resolution is, take a minute and do something right now that helps you move a little closer to achieving it.
Here are a few of my favorite tips for achieving your New Year’s Resolution:
- Make only one resolution and be specific
- My primary resolution for this year is to do pushups every day, starting out at 12 and increasing by two every week until I get to 50.
- Start small, you can’t go from being a couch potato to running a marathon overnight. Use the power of the Compound Effect and let small changes build up over time to achieve what you want.
- On January 1, I could only do 16 consecutive pushups, but by gradually increasing by two per week, I am confident I will get to 50 with no problem.
- Set your resolution like a SMART Goal (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timebound).
- Focus on why you are making this resolution, what are the benefits?
- I’ve always been in pretty good shape, but more so in the lower body than upper. By doing pushups every day I will get much stronger and better toned in my chest and arms.
Have a great Tuesday!