One of my favorite things about the Christmas season is the spirit of giving and I always strive to do what I can to give back to the community. This year I want to step it up a notch, and so for the month of December I am committing to making one small contribution or act of kindness each day that gives back to the community. This could be:
- Donating to a local charity
- Giving transit fare to someone in need
- Helping someone with directions
- Cheering up a stranger
- Other acts that involve going out of your way to help someone out
- The act of giving or kindness can’t be for someone I know, it needs to be for a stranger.
- It must be more than holding a door or an elevator for someone or other gestures that are considered normal and polite.
- For every day that I am not able to give, I will put $5 in a donation pot, which will be donated at the end of the month to the Calgary Food Bank to help fellow Calgarians in need.
I think it will be difficult to complete a random act that meets my criteria every day for the whole month, although I am going to try hard. If I am able to do it 50% of the days, I think that will have been a pretty successful challenge. I also think that by deliberately looking for opportunities to give back I will probably find more opportunities available over the course of my day than I would expect!
I am extremely fortunate to have an amazing family and upbringing, and I know that not everyone in the city and around the world is so lucky. I hope that this challenge will improve the lives of as many people as possible, even if only a little bit.
I challenge you all to take up this challenge as well. Let’s create a ripple effect that makes this holiday season a little bit happier for as many people as we can!